[mythtv-users] Mini-ITX or standard PC?

Jason Ahrens jason.ahrens at rogers.com
Wed Sep 29 13:21:45 EDT 2004

On September 29, 2004 12:05, Phil Blundell wrote:
> If you're building a dedicated frontend box, or working in a DVB kind of
> environment where the data arrives pre-encoded, a fanless EPiA would
> probably be a good solution.  But if encoding is required as well,
> it might not be so great.

I was thinking of using the MII, or even the SP when it's out, with a PVR-250
for input.

The MII does mpeg2 decoding.
The SP does mpeg2 decoding and mpeg4 acceleration.
The PVR-250 does mpeg2 encoding of TV streams.

Keep all the intensive stuff in hardware, and the CPU needs drop.
Encoding DVDs or similar would not be practical on the system though.

I am curious is the SP with the C3 1.3GHz processor would be enough for the
other 'nice' things.. Someone mentioned the MII was not powerful enough for
mythgame?

Jason

--
"It is eternity now. I am in the midst of it. It is about me in the sunshine;
 I am in it, as the butterfly in the light-laden air. Nothing has to come; it