[mythtv-users] MythDVD killed Alsa sound output

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Sep 27 22:30:55 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 15:23 -0700, Agent Yubby wrote:
> No sound...  Nothing,  nada (nunca)...
>
> There's no sound output from any Myth applications,  or external apps
> like XMMS.   I tested the files themselves (playing as Mpeg2 using
> Windows Media Player),   but even "xine" can output sound when playing
> the files (but can, when playing DVD's).

I've had this happen.  Xine and mplayer sometimes kill something in
ALSA, requiring me to do a 'alsactl restore' to be able to hear non-AC3
audio when I go back to watching LiveTV/Recorded Shows.  Once you get
the sound the way you like it, do a 'alsactl store' for the known, good
config.  Then if it borks, you can restore it, and go into alsamixer to
check the volume settings for PCM and Master..  (In my case, I also have
to make sure that I have the SPDIF enabled.)

	-I
--
Ian Forde