[mythtv-users] Question About Cases/Expansion Slots

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 07:21:58 EDT 2004

I would check out the Ahanix D5. It's a little long and on the bigger
side but it looks just like a a/v component and fits a full sized ATX
motherboard.

Also whatever case you use, I would suggest trying to find and AGP
video card because if your motherboard has it and the case has a slot
for it and you don't use it, it's just wasted space. Especially
because there are a lot of good video cards out there with S-Video out
or even DVI out if you have and HDTV that supports that. Some cards
even have mpeg-2 decoders on them but I'm not sure of the state of
drivers to support that in linux.

Now if you just use component out, then any video card will do.
(including onboard) However, if you plan on upgrading your TV, then
I'd recommend looking for one that will take advantage of that later.

For sound, you might have some luck with some of the onboard audio
that have the S/PDIF out but I'm not sure. I went the Ahanix D5, full
ATX mobo. route and as such use a pci audio card. I looked at some of
the microATX motherboards and smaller cases but your options of
motherboards is really limited then. (Especially if you are looking
for decent onboard video and a decent onboard audio)