[mythtv-users] best setup in my case

ChuckDock cjdock at excite.com
Mon Sep 27 22:49:26 EDT 2004

I too use Gentoo as much as possible. I have mythtv running on it. It was difficult to set-up. PHP problems, perl modules and XML gave me problems but I got through them., mythweb wouldn't install but other than that it's working great. I have a cheap ati wonder ve card, it's a resource pig but the box is a 2.26 Ghz with a gig of ddr so it handles it fine. I'm recording Monday night football and surfing the net and the processor is running at 24%. I got the tv out from the s video jack working this weekend, it's cool watching mythtv on my tv while using my computer to surf from the monitor.I considered fedora core but it seems unstable, I nevered liked redhat, to flakey and fluffy for me. I run slackware at work as servers, it's super stable. If I couldn't get myth on gentoo then slack was my next choice. I was able to emerge myth 0.16 with gentoo, I just have to unmask it first.
 I tried knoppmyth this weekend. The TV out wouldn't work correctly nor just running mythfrontend, at least for me. I don't know Debian so fixing it is not that easy for me.
Just my 2 cents..