[mythtv-users] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

Greg Donald destiney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:45:05 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:51:39 -0400, Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> You don't tell it - that information is handled entirely by the mysql client
> library, and has absolutely nothing to do with mythtv.

So if my mysql.sock file is not in the non-default location
/var/lib/mysql that mythtv seems to be hardcoded for, I cannot run the
setup program at all?  Is there another way to get setup without
running setup?

Surely I am not the first person to come along with vanilla MySQL
installed from source using /tmp for the mysql.sock location.  This is
the default location as per the MySQL manual..  Why on earth would
anyone feel the need to hardcode it to some non-standard location is
beyond reason.

--
Greg Donald
http://gdconsultants.com/