[mythtv-users] HDTV resolution capturing question

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Mon Sep 27 12:17:27 EDT 2004

HDTV MPEG-2 encoders do exist, and run about $30,000.  Your local TV
stations broadcasting HDTV will have them.  Don't expect to see anything
sub $5k for about 2 years and sub $500 for about 5-10 years.  Encoding
1080i resolution is a beast.  Chances are we'll start doing it with raw
CPU in about 2-3 years.  A 3.2 GHZ processor encodes 1080i at about
1/7th realtime speed right now.

--Brandon