[mythtv-users] Nvidia TV-Out Color Correction

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Sep 25 19:04:06 EDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 23:50, Nick Offerman wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm new to MythTV, and I haven't found any solid answers to these
> questions so here goes:
>
> **Problem:**
> The picture coming out of my nVidia Ti4200 Composite TV Out is way too
> red.  It is this way for everything (KDE, MythTV, mplayer, xine).
>
> This seems to be a fairly common problem with nVidia cards, from what
> I've found on the web and this mailing list.  I tried a different
> nVidia card (eVGA GF4 MX440) and got the same results.  The picture
> looks fine on my 19" monitor.
>
> **Questions:**
> 1) Is there a software/hardware fix that will correct this in
> everything (KDE, MythTV, Xine or Mplayer) without having to change
> them all individually?

/usr/bin/nvidia-settings

> 2) If not, what is the easiest way to fix the color in just MythTV and
> Xine/Mplayer?  I can live with ugly color in the Myth menus and at the
> desktop, if I can get TV and DVD/Video playback looking acceptable.  I
> have played around with the 'F' and 'G' menus in MythTV to fix color,
> but it still looks pretty bad.

Enable Xv controls in the frontend setup. Try nvidia-settings first though.

> 3) Is this a problem with all nVidia cards?

No. Mine are stellar.

> Can anyone recommend an
> AGP card with good S-Video/Composite signal out to an NTSC television?

All three of my Chaintech cards have been great.

>  Would it be worth it to get a PVR-350 instead?

They're pretty damned good for standard-def TV. But very inflexible for
anything else. Depends a lot on how you use your system.

>  Would it make any
> sense to use a VGA to Composite external converter?

Some people like 'em, some people hate 'em. I'm indifferent. The output from
my cards is excellent, never had a need to get anything else. (Well, except
for the transcoder for VGA to Component to my HDTV).

> nVidia drivers version 61.11
> Twinview Cloned to both a 19" CRT and a 25" NTSC TV through Composite

Are the colors still wonky if you use only the TVOut?

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...