[mythtv-users] Jarods guide and an Epia board, problem with the kernel?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 24 20:47:09 EDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 16:20, Christoffer Kjølbæk wrote:
> lør, 2004-09-25 kl. 01:04 skrev Jarod Wilson:
> > > How can I compile the kernel, so the name is the same.
> >
> > Edit the Makefile in your kernel source directory before you build the
> > kernel. But that really isn't recommended, for a number of reasons. You'd
> > have kernel modules compiled against a differently configured kernel than
> > what you're actually running, which can cause Very Bad Things to happen.
>
> I will only add the VIA CLE266 support, can that make so much harme?

Dunno. Might work, might cause problems. I'm not that familiar with the
contents of the patch, so all I can say is try it if you want to, and maybe
it'll work fine. Worst-case, it won't, and you'll have to compile the needed
kernel modules by hand. Personally, I think that if you're that comfortable
patching and compiling your own kernel, I'd recommend just compiling the
needed kernel modules against your custom kernel.

But if you do go down this route, you'd *definitely* want to use the kernel
config file shipped with the kernel source for the kernel you're rebuilding
on top of, with the only deviation being anything to enable cle2666 support.

Also, I think the kernel-module rpms will be on the lookout for the matching
kernel rpm to have been installed, so you'd want to install that first, then
create your new kernel with the same name, overwriting the rpm-installed
kernel.

> > > Or, get it to
> > > work in other ways.
> >
> > Compile the kernel modules from source. Follow the guide for everything
> > else.
>
> So I can just install FC2, get a kernel from kernel.org and use the
> epia-patch, and then use you guide?

Yes.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE