[mythtv-users] Re: EPIA MII + FC2 + Epia kernel + Jarod's Guide = possible?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 24 18:58:48 EDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 14:58, Micah Wedemeyer wrote:

> I tried the epiawiki howto, but I didn't like Gentoo at all.  The portage
> system was nice, but it was just too hard to get X Windows and KDE working.
>  I guess I'm just a noob.

I like Gentoo quite a bit myself, but yeah, its just too much work sometimes.

> Anyways, I scrapped that and am trying FC2.  It installed with no problems
> on my EPIA MII-10k, but I'm left wondering about hardware mpeg decoding.

Never have got around to trying that on mine.

> I have a functioning 2.6.8.1-epia1 kernel that seems to work fine under
> FC2, but I haven't tried any MythTV type stuff yet.  However, does this
> non-vanilla setup mean that I can't use kernel-dependent rpms like ivtv and
> lirc?

Correct.

> Can I "lie" to apt-get and ask for stuff for a vanilla 2.6.8.1
> kernel, or is that just asking for trouble?

Well, apt won't let you install them without also installing the kernel they
match up with, and they'll be in the module path for that kernel instead of
yours. You might be able to copy them over to your -epia1 kernel's module
tree and force them to load, but that's definitely asking for trouble.

> Assuming that I can't get the kernel rpms working, what patches will I need
> to apply to the kernel?  Here's my list so far:
> -epia1 patch (already applied)
> ivtv patch
> lirc patch

There's no kernel patch necessary for lirc, and ivtv only needs patches if you
have a card with one of the really new tuners.

> If I'm running on a patched kernel, can I still use most of the apt-get
> rpms (like mythtv-suite)?  I'm not sure hardware acceleration is worth it
> to me if it means not being able to use rpms and such.

Yes, you can still use the rest of ATrpms, only kernel modules are
kernel-dependent. I actually do just that on my pcHDTV-equipped box, because
I'm running a patched 2.6.7 kernel on it.

Actually, I still want to package up a kernel-pcHDTV package to put on ATrpms,
as well as possibly a kernel-epia package...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...