MythTV and Directv (was Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV and DISH - a great solution)

Rob Fugina rob.fugina at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 15:08:41 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:39:09 -0400 (EDT), Eric Joe <sysop at tje1.com> wrote:

> > Many of the Directv receivers have the low-speed serial port mentioned
> > (especially RCA).  I have the RCA DRD435RH Directv receiver and made my
> > own serial cable using instructions from http://www.dtvcontrol.com/ with
> > the external channel changer script from
> > http://bach.as.arizona.edu/~johng/rca_control.txt .  Solid channel
> > changes.  Never had a problem.
>
> I have been running my Mythbox for about 9 months with DirecTV. I also
> made a serial cable for my RCA receiver. It has a little jack that looks
> like a phone jack labeled Home Control. I had been using an old Sony
> receiver that uses a standard DB9 serial connector. Both worked fine.

Same serial protocol, eh?  I've been wondering, since the sony.pl and
RCA.pl files I've found seem to be pretty much identical.  I have a
fairly old Sony (5 yrs?) that has worked fine with  the sony.pl that I
found.  I'm planning on expanding my backend to two PVR250's, and I'll
need an additional DirecTV recieiver, but the only plain-and-simple
receiver I can find is non-branded (or DirecTV-branded).  I've been
wondering if the serial protocol on this device will be the same as
the Sony and RCA models.  Anybody know?

Rob