[mythtv-users] MythTV and DISH - a great solution

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 11:21:14 EDT 2004

Some directv receivers have an input that allows you to plug directly
from the computers serial port into the back of the dss receiver (via
a low speed port I believe).  You just need to get the right cable (I
got it online, but it seems fairly trivial to build and schematics are
online), and then use either the sony.pl or rca.pl script (I had to
use the rca, but others have luck with the sony script), and then you
are pretty much off and running.

Looks like with the switch to cable, that my motorolla cable box has
an active serial port as well that I can use to change channels.  Once
I get a Internet feed to my myth box, I will be able to get that up
and running (hopefully).  I was hoping to avoid using lirc alltogether
as I use it for my remote already and did not want to build a second
instance of lirc.