[mythtv-users] Re: Best approach for TV output (composite/s-video)?

Prash prashk at staff.btltd.net
Thu Sep 23 11:18:12 EDT 2004

The question was asked on the "TVOut" context and the advice was "if you
want to run latest distros (say FC2 with 2.6.8 kernel) then don't go for
ATI".

Their closed source driver

1) do not support kernel>2.4
2) refuses to compile with Xorg
3) supports only XFree - obviously very few wuld want to switch back to
XFree when latest distros are abandoning it.

Hope this makes it a bit more clearer. You can't use gatos either cos'
gatos is in the process of migrating stuff to Xorg.

All I'm saying is if TVOut is what you want and you are not willing to run
older distros then you should look for other chipsets mainly because
drivers are not there yet.

Best

Prash