[mythtv-users] HDTV Recommendations... with DVI

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 23 03:43:13 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 22:00, Stephen Tait wrote:
> At 23:10 22/09/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> > From my research it sounds like an NVIDIA based card would be my best
> > bet... but which one?
>
> Some variant of a 5200 would be best IMHO. You can get passively cooled
> 5200's quite easily.

I got this one myself:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145-067&depa=0

Despite the pictures, mine is fanless.

> >While I've got you... anyone have a recommendation for a stable sound
> >card?  I'm looking for something that will handle 5.1 sound with SPDIF
> >(optical) output.  My current MythTV system is based on a Pundit and the
> >onboard SPDIF is flakey at best.  I just want something reliable.
>
> My bet would be on one of the higher end Audigy's or an M-Audio Revolution.

No complaints here for my Audigy. Just an OEM version, but feeding spdif to my
amp without a problem. If you don't mind spending the money, get the Revo
though. I like 'em partially because they'll work under Linux, Windows *and*
Mac OS X, but its also a better card. (It also costs more, on order of double
what you can get a viable Audigy for). W/HDTV, anything over 5.1 is going to
be wasted right now, so the Revo's 7.1 is nice for the future, but doesn't
really serve any purpose in a Myth box, aside from maybe the few DVDs that
have 6.1 or 7.1 soundtracks... I'll stop rambling now... I'm partial to the
Revo if money isn't an issue, but I have no complaints about my Audigy.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...