[mythtv-users] Would like opinions regarding some HW choices

Peter Buelow pete at putzin.net
Wed Sep 22 19:10:12 EDT 2004

> Peter Buelow wrote:
>
>>I'm in the process of getting started on a new OTA HD PVR using Myth, but
>>I have some questions. I've been through the archives and a couple of the
>>user HOW-TO's. Just need a few clarifications and some HW advice.
>>
>>1. I want to get a miniATX box (probably a BioStar iDEQ box) which has
>>limited space and only a single PCI slot. Not that big a deal as this is
>>PVR only box sitting in my stereo rack, so I don't need much else. I'm
>>choosing the pcHDTV 3000 card right now, and would like to hear how the
>>2000 (or if anyone knows, the 3000) card is on heat and CPU so far.
>>Obviously heat is an issue in this box so if this card is gonna fry
>>something, I would want to know before buying. Is maybe the Hauppage HD
>>option a better choice?
>>

> I have the pcHDTV 2000 and heat is not an issue.  I am using a well
> ventilated case so I can't speak for the iDEQ.  The Hauppauge HD cards
> are not supported by Linux (or mythtv).  CPU power is not a problem for
> recording HDTV.  Playback on the other hand *needs* CPU.  There is an
> option to use xvmc, but some people have had problems with certain
> configurations (search the archives for more info).
Ok, that's cool. Thanks. I'm gonna max on the CPU so I'm hoping that's not
an issue.

>>2. I've read lots of comments about different HDTV video out options.
>>nVidia, a video to component adapter, and other choices. What seems to
>>work the best? If I don't have to buy a seperate VGA card for this
>>machine, then I won't, but it's HD only, I want the quality. And if I buy
>>a card, what's the best card for component out? nVidia is the strong
>>choice here because it's supported well with Linux and by the pcHDTV
>>marketing blurbs, but I'll likely go with what works the best over any
>>other choice.
>>

> I use an Audio Authority VGA to Component box to output HDTV.  FX5200
> seems to work great and you can get a low-profile fanless version at
> newegg.com.

Read about this. Wasn't sure how it worked. If it does work, then it's
probably worth the investment because I have an FX 5700 sitting somewhere
that I can probably gank. The 5200 might be nicer though because it
probably runs a little cooler. Can you send me a copy of you xconfig? It
would be nice to see what it looks like so I can start to get a handle on
all this.

>>If the info is interesting, this will be a FC2 install on a really big
>>drive and have a USB wireless connection at some point.
>>
> FC2 works fine for me.  USB wireless could be problematic.  Make sure
> you get g and hopefully you won't have too many interference problems.
> 2.4Gig is getting more crowded by the day.

I don't know of any project that supports 54g yet for USB. Prism54 has it
on their roadmap, and some cvs commits show it's coming, but it could be a
while. I'll cross that bridge when I get this thing going though, which
will have to wait for the pcHDTV 3000 I'm thinking right now. The NDIS
wrapper is an option too, but I'm still investigating that.

>> I assume as long
>>as the audio card is supported under Linux, then that aspect is taken
>> care
>>of (S/PDIF out on all my current choices).
>>

> Yep, pretty much.  SPDIF is supported on most motherboards that have it
> built-in.  Intel ICH4 and ICH5 are supported as well as SoundBlaster
> (and many others).
>
>>Finally, one thing I didn't see, is how much space an HD program of say 1
>>hour will take up? I'm assuming it's much larger than SD programming, but
>>how much recording time will 250 GB get me? Assume about 10 gig for FC +
>>Myth + whatever else, so in reality, 240.
>>

> On my box the HD programs are about 6.9GB for a one hour 1080i recording.

Thanks, That helps a lot. I was afraid it would be roughly 2x that much
cutting down on the amount of recording time. This makes my choice of a
250 seem much better.

>>Everything else seems to be fairly well doc'd at this point. Getting
>>pretty excited. Need to keep from abusing credit card at this point.
>>

> HTH,
> David

"Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be
unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions, and her prayers be. But
she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy." - John Qunicy Adams
--
Pete