[mythtv-users] Pundit Setup

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:15:52 EDT 2004

Er, I'm not sure I follow this, are you saying a celeron will cost me
more or less ?
If I understand you correctly  you're saying I'd be best aiming for a
2Ghz Pentium Northwood, rather than a 2.8 Celeron?

Money's *always* an object, but I don't want to buy /over/  my
requirements as this box will purely be a myth box,  I have plenty of
other machines for compiling/working on :)

- Ciaran

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:58:11 +0100, Stephen Tait <tait at digitallaw.co.uk> wrote:
> At 19:13 22/09/2004, you wrote:
> >That helps a lot :) Thanks for your time! I'll go for it then I reckon
> >:)  you sure the 2ghz celeron's enough? I might up it just a bit to be
> >on the safe side anyway ?
> >-ciran
>
> Personally, I'd go for a lower clocked Pentium with a Northwood core if you
> can find one. Admittedly, they're like rocking horse poo, but you'll end up
> with a cooler chip that'll be equally powerful to a 2GHz celery. According
> to newegg, a 2GHz celery'll cost you twice as much as a 2.2GHz P4. Argh!
>
> If money is an object, a celery'll do you fine, but don't expect it to be
> any good at media encoding and compiling and other multimedia related
> stuff. For TV playback (HDTV excepted) it's more than adequate.

- Ciaran
http://www.wombatinvasion.com/ (Share the love)