[mythtv-users] Transcoded files larger than source?

Martin Moeller martin at martinm-76.dk
Wed Sep 22 13:34:22 EDT 2004

The 11 GB thing boggles the mind, but one possible reason for getting
files larger than the original, supposedly at 2300-3000 would be if your
resolution is sufficiently low and you have chosen to scale bitrate
according to capture size (the default I believe). I had this happen to
be about 1-1½ years ago when transcoding shows. It was because with my
resolution it recorded at roughly 800 Kbit and not the 2200 Kbit
mentioned. Those would only fit if recording at 480x480. Oh, and this
was MPEG4->MPEG4. Basically archiving the shows where other programs
could find them.

ons, 2004-09-22 kl. 06:12 skrev Nate Carlson:
> I've seen this posted a couple times, but never seen a resolution.

[2300-3000 bitrate, MPEG2 -> MPEG4 transcode. Size jumps up to 11 gigs
sometimes!]

> First, is there any way to figure out what's causing this?

Probably :) - Your problem does sound somewhat different from mine,
though...

> Second, would it be possible to get an option added to the transcoder that
> will cause it to fail (ie, say transcoding failed, not overwrite the
> original, and remove the new file) if the original is smaller than the
> output? I realize this probably shouldn't be the default, since people may
> want to go MPEG4->MPEG2 for DVD, but it'd be nice to have that feature.

That sounds like a good feature to have, yes.
--
Martin Moeller <martin at martinm-76.dk>