[mythtv-users] Best approach for TV output?

Asciimonster asciimonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Sep 22 12:13:47 EDT 2004

Mike Ladwig wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I'm investigating tv output approach solutions, trying to figure out what
>would be the best approach as far as quality and practicality goes.  I'm not
>a big video expert (D-VHS looks OK to me), but I do have a 16-9 HDTV (a Sony
>CRT with SVideo, composite, and component outputs).
>
>For what I'm looking at, it looks like my major options are:
>
>- Pundit SVideo
>- NVIDIA GF3 SVideo
>- PVR-350 SVideo
>- ???

I have a PVR on a computer that is not bursting with GHz-sez (And,
luckily, lacks the 747-effect, i.e. noise, of modern compu's).

The pro's and cons:
PRO:  For such an underpowered system the PVR is the best way to go
(Just 3% CPU when coding AND decoding). Picture quality is great; I can
easily rival VHS. The picture is slightly fuzzier than the original, but
you can only see that if you compare it with the original and squint
your eyes. ;)

CON: Beware of the somewhat intricate installation of the ivtv drivers,
but some excellent HOWTO's are available. You know: "this driver is work
in progress".

P.S. I'm not certain if it can do 16:9. I know it does all the 4:3
formats: PAL, NTSC and SECAM