[mythtv-users] Best approach for TV output?

Paul Mandell mandellpaul at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 08:36:58 EDT 2004

>I'm investigating tv output approach solutions,
trying >to figure out
>what
>would be the best approach as far as quality and
>practicality goes.
<SNIP>

Mike,

I've just been through this loop and seem to have come
to the conclusion that most tv-out chipsets/Linux
drivers will destroy the interlace. (Tried Nvidia
FX5200 and MX440). The notable exception is of course
the PVR350 which apparently does preserve interlace.
I've spent countless hours trying to pin down the
reason why any recorded live TV (sport, news etc)
looks like a film. I guess the apparent 50fps that
interlaced 50hz gives was being reduced to 25fps as
the two fields were being munged into 1 frame on the
input side of the tv-out chipset. Out of desparation I
plugged in a VGA monitor and it looked perfect. I then
discovered that my TV accepts RGB input via scart and
that this is almost identical to VGA, apart from the
fact that it uses composite sync rather than separate
horizontal and vertical syncs. A bit of googling
turned up this site
http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart where there
are details on the 50 pence worth of components needed
to convert the sync and join an old vga cable to the
scart plug. I supect that this will give results
comparable or maybe even better than the output from
the PVR350 at the fraction of the cost, as it is
component video rather than composite or s-video. I
ordered the components yesterday and am currently
looking for a dead vga monitor willing be a cable
donor.

Paul