[mythtv-users] Recent alsa problems

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Tue Sep 21 21:00:12 EDT 2004

Weston, Toby (ELS) wrote:
> mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>David George wrote:
>>
>>>I don't have an SBLive in my system but I (and others) had problems
>>>with Alsa 1.0.6a.  I don't really remember what the problem was, and
>>>I am not sure if the atrpms build includes a patch or not.  I went
>>>back to 1.0.5a for now.  I have also been testing the CVS versions,
>>>but will probably wait until 1.0.7a is released (1.0.7rc1 is out
>>>now).
>>
>>Yeah... I just rolled back to 1.0.5a and ac3 worked perfectly.  Thanks
>>for the confirmation!
>>
>>	-I
>

> How did you guys go about rolling back? I thought I'd get the old rpm,
> uninstall the new and reinstall the old but I can't find 1.0.5a on ATrpms?
> probly missing something obvious...

I went to one of the mirrors and downloaded the rpms.  First, do a
'modprobe -r' to unload the modules from memory.  (Since I'm using
PVR-250 cards, I felt safe leaving mythbackend running.)  Then I removed
the 1.0.6a rpms via:

rpm -e --nodeps <alsa rpm names here...>

After that, I installed the 1.0.5a rpms via:

rpm -Uvh ./alsa* ./kernel-module-alsa*

Go into alsamixer to check the volume settings and SPDIF settings, then
tested with mythfrontend!

	-I