[mythtv-users] current procedure for TV listings in the UK?

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Mon Sep 20 09:03:38 EDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 12:34:33PM +0100, Ashley Bostock wrote:
> Brilliant, I think I understand how it all works now.
>
> 1) Put channels.conf in the current dir and so that dvbgrab can match
> frequencies to service IDs (I take it that the number in
> 8322.dvb.guide is the service ID, i.e. the last number at the end of
> each entry in the channels.conf file?)
>
> 2) Create a chanidents file in the current dir which lists:
> <service id> <xmltv id>
>
> e.g.
> 8347 itv2.itv.co.uk
> 8384 channel4.com
> etc...

You can get this info from the mythtv database like this

$ mysql mythconverg -B -e 'select serviceid,xmltvid from channel,dvb_channel where channel.chanid=dvb_channel.chanid'
serviceid       xmltvid
4164    london.bbc1.bbc.co.uk
4228    london.bbc2.bbc.co.uk
8261    carlton.com
4351    choice.bbc.co.uk
16832   knowledge.bbc.co.uk
8325    itv2.itv.co.uk
22272   ukhistory.tv
4671    cbbc.bbc.co.uk
16960   cbeebies.bbc.co.uk
4415    news-24.bbc.co.uk
8384    channel4.com
12866   channel5.co.uk
14528   fm.radio-4.bbc.co.uk

> 3) patch dvbgrab (with the changes above posted by nick) so that
> mythtv correctly displays the category information.
>
> 4)  run:
> tv_grab_dvb -c  2>/dev/null |mythfilldatabase --update --file 1 -1 - 2>/dev/null
>
> The -c option meaning that it reads the chanidents file.

I haven't actually tried the -c option yet!

I currently use

-t 60 to wait for 60 seconds until no updates before quitting and
-s for silent running (otherwise it fills the log file up with rubbish!)