[mythtv-users] current procedure for TV listings in the UK?

Charlie Brej brejc8 at vu.a.la
Mon Sep 20 05:21:27 EDT 2004

Ashley Bostock wrote:
> How do you get the tv_grab_uk_dvb script to work properly?  If I run
> it I can generate an xml file with all the program data but there are
> 2 problem with it:
>
> 1) None of the channel IDs match with the xmltv ones, so instead of
> something like "south.bbc1.bbc.co.uk" I get "8139.dvb.guide", It says
> in the readme that you need to put a channels.conf file in the current
> dir, but how would this map to the correct xmltv names?

I run this:

tv_grab_dvb -c  2>/dev/null |mythfilldatabase --update --file 1 -1 - 2>/dev/null

The -c option to tv_grab_dvb renames the channels to your uk_rt format. You will
need to create a file of all conversions called "chanidents" (check grabdvb source)

e.g.:
25728 tmf.nl

 > - Do I need to alter my database values to use 8139.dvb.guide instead
 > of the xmltv IDs?

Yes, that is also an option if you will never need to run uk_rt again.

> 2) The generated xml file seems to contain data for categories but
> they dont seem to match the corresponding mythtv names, the only
> category that seemed to show up in the epg was sport.
>
> Any ideas?

Mythtv looks for a sub string in the descriptions so it does catch all the
program categories even if they don't match fully. The provided categories are a
little crap though. Like tmf (the only channel I fetch from dvb because uk_rt
guide of it is incorrect) marks all its programs as entertainment.

--
         Charlie Brej
APT Group, Dept. Computer Science, University of Manchester