[mythtv-users] Hardware requirements, controlers, remotes, and streaming music

1canuck2 1canuck2 at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 19 09:54:49 EDT 2004

Here's my thoughts:
A single linux box can do all you want, and it doesn't need to be super-high
spec.

Here's what I am running:
P4 2.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB and 200GB (just for recorded shows and music). I
can use it for web-surfing while its recording a show and
transcoding/commercial flagging a show it just finished recording.

Two do 2 encodings at once and watch live TV you will need 3 capture cards
(one per stream). If you go with the PVR-250s, they are hardware encoding,
so they won't chew up much CPU while watching/recording multiple streams.

The file server component does not require much if its just for internal
use, that's what I do with mine.

I would earmark $50 of your money and buy a high-speed internet router and
do everything you need there and not set this box up as a gateway.

Robin