[mythtv-users] Recording Priorities Question

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Sun Sep 19 06:44:19 EDT 2004

Nathan Elliott wrote:
> Is there a way to get MythTV go start a recording late if it conflicts with
> another program of higher priority?
>
> Example:
>
> MythTV is setup to record all shows 60 seconds before their start time, and
> 180 seconds after their end time.
>
> CSI has a priority of 5 and runs from 7:00PM to 8:00PM, so it will be
> recorded from 6:59PM to 8:03PM
>
> If Friends has a priority of 2 and runs from 6:30PM to 7:00PM, it will
> record the show, but cut it off right at 6:59 or 7:00 to start recording the
> higher priority show....
>
> BUT...
>
> If Friends starts at 8:00PM, MythTV will not record it at all, because it is
> busy recording the extra 3 minutes of CSI.
>
> There has been several times that I'd like to have MythTV just start the
> second recording late at 8:03, as I could still see most of the second
> show... but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.
>
> Any help is appriciated.  Thanks.

The global pre-roll and post-roll settings probably will give you a
behavior closer to what you're looking for than setting the record 60
secs before / after.

 From my understanding, instead of telling the scheduler that the
programs start earlier and finish later than they do, therefore
canceling some recordings, the padding is optional - If there's two
recordings in a row, they will both be recorded without padding.

Cheers,

Allan.