[mythtv-users] Remote Control Setup

Chris LaForce laforcec at centurytel.net
Sat Sep 18 21:27:45 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 18:23, Stephen Tait wrote:
> At 17:11 18/09/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> >    I have just been following the "Get and Install lirc" instructions
> >from wilsonet.com and after I run the /usr/bin/irw command it just returns
> >back to the control prompt and the remote control does nothing.
> >This is the output I got from /sbin/service lircd start in my
> >  /var/log/messages file:
> >        Sep 18 15:46:41 localhost lircd 0.7.0pre7[17919]: lircd(any) ready
> >        Sep 18 15:46:41 localhost lircd: lircd startup succeeded
> >  Let me know if you have any suggestions.
> >  Thanks,
> >
> >Chris.
>
> If it crashes you straight back to command prompt, it usually means it's
> looking for the wrong device - check your lird startup parameters.
>
> What does ls /dev/lircd* show you? My PVR-250 remote is assigned
> /dev/lirc/0, rather than the /dev/lircd0 LIRC is expecting. If you too have
> the same device mappings, edit your LIRC init script and supply the device
> in the form of:
>
> -d /dev/lirc/0
>
> Your distro may also allow you overrides in /etc/conf.d where you can
> supply the same argument, and not have to worry about it being overwritten
> on an upgrade

Thanks.  Now irw command sits there acting like its waiting for input
from my remote but nothing happens when I press the buttons.  I double
checked my connections and batties and such.  My card/remote is a
hauppauge wintv theatre does any know which file from
/usr/share/doc/lirc-0.7.0/remotes/ to use or what my problem might be.
Thanks again,

Chris.