[mythtv-users] Re: Lossless .nuv conversion

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu+mythtv-users at beirdo.ca
Sat Sep 18 19:46:51 EDT 2004

John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
> I have a PVR-250 on my MythTV setup and have MythTV automatically
> re-encode most programs to MPEG-4.

Hehe.  It might be easier to just buy more disc, but whatever.

> What options might I have here?  And would these options also work for
> the MPEG-2 data that I have that hasn't been re-encoded?  (That is,
> could I extract the MPEG-2 stream?)

For MPEG2, you can edit with any MPEG2 editor out there.  There is a MPEG2
cutting script included with nuvexport that can cut out your commercials that
are marked in a Myth cutlist.

For the MPEG4, I am currently working on something to export directly to an
MPEG4 AVI file (then likely a Quicktime .mov after that).  Short of that, you
will need to reencode your video or just not transcode it to MPEG4 in the
first place.

The output of the PVR-250 is a straight MPEG2-PS stream, regardless of the
.nuv file extension.  Anything that can handle MPEG2 should be able to play
those files.  The output of transcoding is MPEG in an NUV container, which
is basically only playable by Myth.

Ciao
Gavin