[mythtv-users] Odd PVR-350 FC2 Error: /dev/video0 Input/output Error

vasudeva vasudeva at megarad.com
Sat Sep 18 08:22:27 EDT 2004

* on 09-17-04, Daniel Savard wrote:
> Skipping back to some of my suggestions. The modifications in the
> modules.conf never aimed at solving your problem with the access to
> the /dev/video0. But, it's a required change to avoid some problems
> that may appear later with a mis-behavior of the ivtv driver. So, keep
> your modules.conf as suggested if you still use ivtv 0.1.10, if it
> happen you go back to ivtv 0.1.9, you old config will be required.
>
> I guess you have a script in /etc/init.d to startup the mythbackend.
> Can you look if the MYTH_USER is appropriately defined there? Just to
> make sure it isn't trying to start the backend with a user with
> unsufficient privileges. In fact, it should be root. Here, the scripts
> may vary from what I have on my system, since I am running a Gentoo
> distro.

MYTH_USER is not being defined in /etc/init.d/mythbackend.  I did a
case-insensitive recursive grep on /etc and MYTH and USER appear
nowhere on the same line.  A ps shows mythbackend running as root.

I don't know if this is going to be of any use to anyone, but I ran
strace on both the device-borking mythbackend, and the dd that fails
afterward.  They're too big for me to post to the list, so you can
find them here:

http://vasudeva.megarad.com/mythbackend.strace.txt
http://vasudeva.megarad.com/dd.strace.txt

/></

--
linkswarm.com :: Collaborative Insolence
megarad.com :: Killing You With Technology