[mythtv-users] upgrade from FC1 to FC2

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Sep 18 02:56:37 EDT 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 21:17, john salch wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to decide how to get my stock FC1 system
> (per Jarod's instructions (kernel
> 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_52.rhfc1.atsmp, 15.1 mythtv) to a
> FC2 install.  As I see it, there are two ways to go:
>
> 1) re-install, find some way to save off my myth
> settings, then restore them.
>
> 2) upgrade existing system.  only thing i think here
> is to put in FC2 disk and do the upgrade then try to
> figure out new ivtv etc etc...  this sounds a bit
> frightening, but if it works, then there will be less
> to do later.
>
> Any ideas or experiences on this?
>
> If someone can give me some ideas, I will be happy to
> post my experiences here.  I am relatively new to
> linux and myth but did get a system up and running...

I posted something about this just a little while back, but here it goes
again...

When I moved my master backend from FC1 to FC2, I opted to go clean install on
the OS. Upgrading is possible, but just not worth the hassle, when it is so
quick and easy to just reinstall (assuming your backend is a dedicated Myth
box, anyhow). I use a dedicated /video partition for all my recordings, so
the steps were essentially (starting w/running FC1 system):

1) service mythbackend stop
2) service mysqld stop
3) cp -r /usr/lib/mysql /video
4) shutdown -h now
5) install FC2, leaving /video partition intact, setting mount point
to /video, update packages
6) install ivtv stuff, make sure it works
7) apt-get install mythtv-suite
8) cp -rf /video/mysql /var/lib
9) service mysqld start
10) mythtvsetup -- double-check settings, but note that I didn't have to
change a thing
11) service mythbackend start
12) fire up the frontend, see whatcha got

I believe it took me less than two hours (though I have full apt mirrors on my
local network, and I've done this a time or fifty :-).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...