[mythtv-users] insmod ivtv.o problem - bus mastering not

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Thu Sep 16 22:54:38 EDT 2004

John - Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried several combinations
(different slots, different computer, and different slots in that
computer).  I always get the same thing.  Not much available from the
bios setting either.

A couple of friends suggest that bus-mastering is pretty much a given in
most current machines (this one is about 2 years old).  They couldn't
believe that my motherboard didn't have bus-mastering, and, I think I
agree.  I'm starting to think the board doesn't work.

I've been all over the bios pages and found lots of interesting things,
but nothing I think I can use.  Well, maybe 'setpci' but that one looks
kind-of tricky.  I think my next step is to look at the board.

VJ - You might have something here.  Did you contact Hauppauge tech
support before doing the rma, or just go straight to it?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know how it works out.

Don

PS - some interesting command lines I found while researching:

-Use file command to tell what a file is:
    file mythtv-0.16.tar.tar

- View perl documentation
    perldoc docname - Display documentation about a perl document
    perldoc perldoc - Display documentation about perldoc

- Determine interrupts being used
    cat /proc/interrupts

- View hard disk parameters
    /usr/sbin/hdparm /dev/hda

- View mixer settings
    rexima -v

- Set pci device values (very scary unless you know what you're doing)
    setpci

- Determine md5 checksum of files
    md5sum /lib/modules/ivtv-fw-*