[mythtv-users] excellent review of mythtv vs. MCE

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 22:53:41 EDT 2004

> One think that I did learn is that MCE has video on demand integrated
> with MovieLink.  I had no idea of that.  That is one hot app that
> MythTV is missing.  And it looks like Tivo will soon have it too with
> this pending deal with NetFlix.

I would love to have this in MythTv but I don't think it would happen.
The main reason is because MythTV doesn't have a big company willing
to bend to the MPAA wishes. Also I think there is a big misconception
that all Open Source people just want something for free. (as in beer)
I'd be perfectly willing to pay to get a movie from Netflix (or
wherever) that I could watch for X hours.

Unfortunately I'd bet Microsoft has an exclusive agreement with
whoever they use and Tivo probably has an exclusive agreement with
Netflix so we would be forced to find someone else. Maybe Blockbuster
or Hollywood Video? Are there any good businessmen out there willing
to work out a proposal? And developers, do you have any solutions that
would allay the MPAA's fears of piracy?