[mythtv-users] excellent review of mythtv vs. MCE

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 15:28:24 EDT 2004

At 18:59 16/09/2004, you wrote:

> > Well I don't know of any _distribution_ that ships with IvyTv, or am I
> > missing
> > something ?
>
>Agreed. I dont know of any either.

By "shipping" you could count gentoo, which has builds for ivtv in it's
package repository. I don't think you'll see most distros ship it until
ivtv is stable enough to make it into the kernel.

> > Next, this bit:
> > "Using the default compiling options, we had MythTV built and installed in
> > little under 20 minutes."
> >
> > Well, that is a bit hard to believe...  Not even counting downloading and
> > unpacking, the compiling of mythtv alone on my athlon 2600+ takes way more
> > than 20 minutes (okay, that's from memory).  So this is also pushing it
> > IMHO.
>
>Yes it is hard to beleive. I bet they used apt-get install mythtv-suite
>and didnt compile at all. That could be done in 20 minutes with a fast
>connection.

Agreed. I've got distcc working with an athlon 2400 (mythbox), a 2800 and
1700 and a P3 1GHz, and Myth takes about 20 minutes to compile on those.
There's no way in hell you could compile Myth on a single machine in 20
minutes, especially a lowish-ender like they used.

> > I'm not a linux beginner by any standard).
>
>We have heard this before on this list ;)
>
> > They barely even mentioned
> > xmltv.
>
>Now I am confused. I thought MythTV dropped support for xmltv for the
>zap2it listings. (Which  IMHO works quite well)
>

>Eric

You're forgetting that the rest of the world doesn't have zap2it... ;)