[mythtv-users] Converting from ATrpms version to CVS self-compile development

Kevin Wilson kwilson at yesvideo.com
Thu Sep 16 14:15:45 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am successfully running Myth 0.15--installed using ATrpms per Jarod's
guide.  (Worked as advertised!!)  The only difference is that I installed
and run everything as 'root'--I didn't create a 'mythtv' user.

However, now I would like to be able to get the latest CVS versions and make
my own modifications to the Myth source code.
- Can install/run a separate CVS version of Myth that will not interfere
with the ATrpms version I already have installed & working?
- What is the wisest way to go about getting the CVS self-compile version
working?  Can I leverage my current installation, even if portions of it
must be removed?

I would like to experiment with some ideas I have and contribute them to the
project down the road.  I am a programmer, but a newbie to Linux and open
source projects.

Thanks!!

--Kevin
kev_wil at yahoo.com