[mythtv-users] Sempron?

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 12:39:33 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:15:58 -0400, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yeah that's where I saw it, actually...
> >

> OK, then to answer your first question better, the Sempron is simply
> AMD's new budget processor.
> It replaces the Barton.

As pointed out, it replaces the Duron.  It's a pretty weak chip for a
home built machine.  You'll see them in prebuilt machines soon I'm
sure, but there's just no reason not to spring the extra ten bucks for
a Barton which will outperform it in almost every way*.

--Ryan

*Mobile XPs do seem to suffer a bit on heavy graphics tests, even
compared to the Sempron apparently due to the lower FSB.  However, you
can overclock the hell out of most mobile XPs.

PS: Where does AMD get these names.  It's like deep down inside they
really want to be an oil company.