[mythtv-users] Re: Air flow and proc questions

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:35:18 EDT 2004

At 15:35 16/09/2004, you wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:32:18 -0500, Aaron Griffin
><aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Just wanted some opinions (good and bad) on this setup:
> > Albatron KM18G Pro v2 Motherboard
> > Coolermaster ATC-620 Case
> > Athlon XP (Barton) 2600+ Processor OEM
> >
> > I'm trying to determine if I'll have any heat/airflow problems with
> > this case and mobo setup... also, (call me dumb if you want) this mobo
> > supports Athlon XP - does that include Barton cores? Or does the
> > motherboard specifically have to support Barton?
> >
> > I'm grabbing Kingston HyperX RAM for this setup (premium RAM with nice
> > heatspreaders), so that should be fine... just curious about the case
> > setup, if everything will be cool (pun intended!)
> >
> > --
> > Got a question? http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>Forgot one thing:
>Does the ATC620 come with a PSU? If it does not, can anyone suggest a
>good quiet and cool PSU?

No, it doesn't.

Personally recommendation will be one of the low power Tagan or Antec
TruPower PSU's (300-350W should do you fine). They're very good quality
PSU's and *very* quiet. The Antec's have the advantage of linking their
thermistor circuits to a couple of molexes, which you can plug your fans
into and get temperature-sensitive case fans, which are very quiet.

If you have money to burn, Zalman and a few others make totally fanless
PSU's, but that won't do much for your case's ventilation.