[mythtv-users] Air flow and proc questions

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:14:41 EDT 2004

At 15:32 16/09/2004, you wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>Just wanted some opinions (good and bad) on this setup:
>Albatron KM18G Pro v2 Motherboard
>Coolermaster ATC-620 Case
>Athlon XP (Barton) 2600+ Processor OEM
>
>I'm trying to determine if I'll have any heat/airflow problems with
>this case and mobo setup...

This case has two vents at the front sides, which the PSU fans and the
(rather noisy) 60mm at the back will draw air through. This case runs quite
cool (mine has a 2400 TbredB in it, which I believe runs hotter than a 2600
barton, as well as 2 hard drives, the GFX, the PVR-250 and the DVD drive).
Buy a quiet 60mm fan to replace the one at the back, or run it at 7V.

>also, (call me dumb if you want) this mobo
>supports Athlon XP - does that include Barton cores? Or does the
>motherboard specifically have to support Barton?

As pointed out on Albatron's website, this board supports all flavours of
Athlon XP's ;)

>I'm grabbing Kingston HyperX RAM for this setup (premium RAM with nice
>heatspreaders), so that should be fine... just curious about the case
>setup, if everything will be cool (pun intended!)

Unless you're considering overclocking, I'd suggest just getting some cheap
Crucial RAM. As long as you go through their memory selector, it's
guaranteed to the hilt, and I've never been given a dodgy stick of it yet
(and I run memtest86 on all the machiens I make before I install anything
on them). If you want your RAM to just look pretty, you can buy very nice
aluminium heatspreaders for about £4 per stick here in the UK...