[mythtv-users] Automatic Commercial Detection - how to get it

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:03:06 EDT 2004

At 15:28 16/09/2004, you wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Chris Pinkham wrote:
>>And they blank on 15, 30, or 60 seconds intervals which fools the
>>commercial detection.  I almost wonder sometimes if they do it for this reason.
>
>Huh, never noticed that. That is.. interesting.  :)
>
>>I have it on my TODO list to make it so that if you hit 'Q' within 3-4
>>seconds of hitting 'Z' that it will skip back to where you originally hit
>>'Z' from instead of going back to the previous cutpoint.  This will help
>>in those cases where the commercial detect code misses.
>
>Yeah, that would be nice!

I've been watching this thread with interest, especially with al the
insight into your advertising styles...!

I find the automatic ad-skipping only works reliably for me on channel 4
(in the UK), and there are occasionally the few odd "this commercial break
is 30 minutes long!" mistakes - it would be great if we could specify the
maximum length an ad break is (most of the shows I watch and record on ch4
and ITV tend to have ad breaks of 2 minutes or less). I'm using the
combination of blank frame and screen change BTW.

What I have noticed however that every channel here in the UK pumps up the
volume considerably when switching to ads, which always has me reaching for
the mute button. Is there any way commflag can be confugled to take this
into account also? Does the same kinda thing happen in the US?

I dream of the day when speech recognition and spamassasin can be
integrated into Myth and do Bayesian filtering for all those terrible
advertising buzzwords ;)