[mythtv-users] Wireless on Linux

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 15 13:26:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:31:22AM -0400, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> Eric Joe wrote:
> >802.11b is *NOT* fast enough to watch Live TV from a MythBox backend to a
> >wireless frontend. I havent tried 802.11g.

> I have two wireless setups using 802.11g and both work fine for
> streaming video.  My laptop has a Broadcomm wireless card (4306?) that
> runs flawlessly with ndiswrapper under linux.  There's a slight
> buffering pause when the video is queued up initially, but that's to be
> expected.  Fast-forward, rewind, commercial skips are all fine.
>
> My router is a WRT54G with the Sveasoft firmware (Satori) installed.  My
> Xbox-frontend is connected to a second WRT54G (Satori) set up as a WDS
> bridge.  The Xbox experiences slower response times when skipping around
> in the video, but that's to be expected.  As I understand it, WDS
> decreases your wireless throughput.  Regardless, it's still acceptable
> for using MythTV.

I rather suspect a *lot* that this depends on the card you're capturing
with and what bitrate you run it at.

Cheers
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi