[mythtv-users] Parental recordings section

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Wed Sep 15 12:14:07 EDT 2004

Jeff C wrote:

>I have a feature idea I wanted to toss out to the group for discussion and
>consideration.
>
>I think it would be useful to be able to flag recordings as having a certain
>parental level (even if it was just off/on), just like you can tag videos in
>MythVideo so they don't appear without the password.
>
>I'm thinking of situations where the adults in the household want to record
>something that they don't want to be available to kids, or even be seen on
>the watch recordings screen.  The idea being that in addition to the normal
>show listings their would be a "Extended Listings" option which would prompt
>for a password.  The shows that were flagged with that parental control
>option would all be in there, either ordered by show name or by date,
>whatever works.  So you would loose the nice Show/Episode sorting inherent
>in the watch videos screen, but at least you would keep the kids out of
>anything they shouldn't be in.
>
>I'm interested to hear what others think, especially multi-machine/multi-kid
>households.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Jeff

I second that. I have been wanting to bring this up for awhile. The Tivo
I use you just assign a password (global) and then set the rating level
(PG, PG-13, TV-14, etc) and if a program is at or above that level it
will prompt for the password before you can watch it. It also remembers
that the password has been entered for four hours so you won't have to
enter it again. There are alot of shows I record that I would not want
my son to watch on myth. With the Tivo he can't get to them. It works
the same for Live TV, prompts for the password. I think unrated shows
are considered password protected too.

- James