[mythtv-users] Sort of OT, but about the Chaintech 7NIF2

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:44:22 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:36:01 -0500, Jason Werpy <jwwerpy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:13:16 -0400, David Levine
> <curiouskangaroo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is sort of off-topic, since it isn't directly about MythTV.
> > However, it is about hardware that I purchased for MythTV, and from
> > what I understand it is very popular among MythTV users.
> >
> > I bought a Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard, which arrived today.  Every
> > photo I've seen of it (including in its own manual) shows a north
> > bridge cooling fan.  Mine doesn't have such a fan - instead it has a
> > very tall heatsink on top of it.  Is this a known variation of the
> > motherboard?  Before I even start to use it, I want to make sure I got
> > the right one!  (The box was not sealed, so I suppose its entirely
> > possible that the wrong motherboard was in the box).  Is there a
> > quick-and-easy way to positively identify the motherboard without
> > hooking it up? (can't hook it up because half of my components,
> > including the CPU, have not yet arrived)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David
> >

> I actually changed out the heatsink on my 7NIF2, since the fan was
> very noisy.  It looks like Chaintech realized this too.  This is a
> good thing!

Seeing as the 7NIF2 doesn't have SPDIF sound output (northbridge
fan/heatsink doesn't matter to me as much) is there any other board
suggestions someone would have?  That is, has someone replaced their
7NIF2 with a different board or decided for a different board over the
7NIF2... I'd really like SPDIF sound, though it's not a huge issue...

--
Got a question? http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html