[mythtv-users] Re: nuvexport questions

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu+mythtv-users at beirdo.ca
Tue Sep 14 15:01:45 EDT 2004

Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:
> audio?  I do basically the same as the script for my hand-edits (avidemux2,
> cutlist, etc), but I've noticed that ivtv produces a bad audio frame roughly 1
> in 10 hours.  It causes barfing of the muxer and drops the audio past the bad
> frame.  If I use avidemux2 to re-encode the *audio*, I can fix the recording
> (basically removing the bad audio frame).

1 bad audio frame every 10h?  sheesh. :)  And which muxer does it barf?

>  	Has anyone tried this and can attest to the robustness?  I'm also
> thinking of hacking the script to apply my re-encoding parameters to avidemux
> to convert from 640x480 (ivtv) to 352x480, 2-pass, denoise for dvd authoring.
> I basically do this via a script (once the cutlist is defined), so it shouldn't
> be too tough.

I don't have any 10h recordings to test that with.  However, I've only had
mpeg2cut barf on one file so far, and that was due to avidemux2 segfaulting.

For your conversion stuff, why not write a proper nuvexport convertor using
transcode?  It will handle the MPEG2 just fine.  The only reason I used
avidemux2 at ALL was so we can just cut out chunks of MPEG2 and only reencode
the GOPs around the cut, not have to recode the entire file.  For reencoding
the entire file, transcode is a FAR better choice.

Good luck.
Gavin