[mythtv-users] Pundit noise with fast processor?

Niklas Brunlid nbr at ticalc.org
Mon Sep 13 18:19:39 EDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:10:10 -0400, John Kuhn <kuhn at razorsys.com> wrote:

> Lane Schwartz wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for feedback from people with the Asus Pundit and
>> processors 2.4
>> GHz and faster.
>>
>> At this point it looks like I'm going to get an Asus Pundit; so, the
>> next
>> question is processor. In looking through the list and the hardware
>> database
>> at http://pvrhw.goldfish.org, it seems that people are using 1.7 GHz
>> Celerons
>> through 2.4 GHz P4s.
>>
>> I'm wondering if the Pundit stays quiet when used with a fast processor.
>>
>> I'm planning to use a single PVR 250 initially (I know it's a tight
>> fit), then
>> add a pcHDTV - hence the desire for a faster processor.
>>
>> FYI, I had also considered the Coolermaster 620 / 7NIF2 combination,
>> but the
>> Coolermaster is just too big. (I'm constrained to 360 mm deep and 640 mm
>> wide)
>
> I only have experiance with the SiS based pundit and it is near silent..
> very slight hum can be heard from the cpu fan (which is the only fan)
>
> --John

[Please don't top post]

I could have sworn that my Pundit (SiS) has a PSU fan. It's actually the
thing making the most noise (not that it's a lot, but I hear it clearly in
a quiet room) unless the CPU is busy transcoding or something and the CPU
fan is cranked up.

If there isn't a PSU fan, then something magically blows hot air out the
back of my myth box... =)