[mythtv-users] EPIA MII + FC2 + Epia kernel + Jarod's Guide = possible?

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Mon Sep 13 18:03:41 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm going to order my Epia MII 10K tonight and I'm still not sure exactly how
to go about putting together a Myth box with it.  I keep swaying back and
forth between the Gentoo guide on the epiawiki and Jarod's guide.  Personally,
I've installed and used Red Hat 9.0 before and was quite pleased.  Plus, I
find Jarod's guide pretty easy to follow.  Therefore, I'd like to go with FC2
as used in Jarod's guide.

However, can I still use the -epia kernel patch?  Is that even necessary?
Does it stop me from using the apt-get stuff where I need to specify a kernel
version? (everything that requires a `uname -r`)  After all, the patching
process will change the name of the kernel, right?

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what the -epia kernel patch provides.  If
it's just a bunch of .config stuff, I can probably do that by hand without too
much trouble.  I've compiled a few kernels before, so I know the basics.

Suggestions?

Micah