[mythtv-users] Epia MII - Eden 666Mhz or C3 1000Mhz?

Micah fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Sat Sep 11 22:32:57 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm putting together the final specs on a MythTV box, and I really want to
give the EPIA chipset a try.  The MII chipset has a PCMCIA slot that I can
use for a wireless card as well, which is an added bonus.  My main question
is whether to go with a Eden 666Mhz or C3 1000Mhz.  The Eden has a tiny
power draw and is fanless, while the C3 has a fan and more power.  The price
difference is not too much (with the C3 being cheaper).  So, here are a few
questions that will hopefully help me sort things out:

Is the fan audible on the C3?

Will I be able to hear it if it is the only fan in the box and the box is
under my TV at about 6ft away?

Is 666Mhz enough for a MythTV box with a PVR-250 (HW encode) and the EPIA
chipset (HW decode)?

If, in the future, I want to go for HDTV, would 666Mhz be enough for
decoding?  Would 1000Mhz?

Is 256MB of RAM enough for this setup?  The EPIA chipset has only 1 DIMM
slot and I have 2x256MB sticks lying around.

Also, related, what is the best and easiest way to put together a dedicated
EPIA MythTV box?  Will KnoppMyth work?  How about Jarod's guide?  I've used
Red Hat 9, but not much else really.  However, I have a MS in CS, so
hopefully I can stumble my way through whatever needs doing ;)

Thanks in advance,
Micah

P.S. I know these questions have probably been asked/answered already, but I
cannot seem to search the archives right now.  The server is down or
something.