[mythtv-users] Re: Timeslot scheduling bug?

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Sat Sep 11 17:09:01 EDT 2004

"1canuck2" <1canuck2 at sympatico.ca> writes:
> However, I have noticed that the limitation you describe is broader
> than this. I mostly tell Myth to record a show whenever it is shown on
> any channel. For example, That 70's Show, which is shown on at least 4
> different channels. Myth did not record another show I had specified
> because it conflicted with an episode of That 70s Show, yet the
> episode of That 70s Show it was recording was shown on a different
> channel at a different time with no conflict. Given that I permissed
> Myth to record this show anytime anywhere, I would think this is the
> appropriate time to use a conflict resolution algorithm that would
> solve the problem. At its simplest, it could use the following logic:

I think that the scheduler goes timeslot by timeslot and schedules the
highest priority show to the first free card, then the next highest
to the next free card, etc. There is no lookahead, as far as I can tell.
So, about all you can do is play with priorities.

What I do that helps a bit, is to set the priority of shows that have
multiple showings of the same episode to -<number of showings>. A hack
to the scheduler that I was considering was to make this automatic,
that way the priority would rise as recording opportunities were missed.

What I do for things like stargate is to tell it to record anytime,
limit the number of recordings, then make sure I watch or delete one
to free up a slot in time for the new episode. Don't leave this to the
last minute, though. The scheduler seems to need a non-trival amount
of time to re-calculate.

-tony