[mythtv-users] FC2 and IvyTV Problems and Questions

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Sep 11 03:18:01 EDT 2004

On 9/10/04 7:03 AM, "Jon McLennan" <ca_buki at yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]
> When Jarod updated the guide to FC2, I grabbed the latest ISOs and gave
> that a whirl. This was even worse. I couldn't even get ivtv to load.
> I'm using 2.6.8-1.521. I used apt-get to install the latest ivtv
> packages (after enabling at-bleeding in /etc/apt/sources.list). I got
> the ubiquitious ivtv: Unknown symbol errors. After searching for a bit,
> I found a post in the archives that references a post in the ivtv-devel
> mailing list archive about needing to modify ivtv-firmware.c.

I believe the very latest ivtv builds replaced all the sys_* calls with some
load_firmware() stuff (or something like that), and work fine with
2.6.8-1.521. Admittedly, I'm still running on a 2.6.7 kernel myself. :-p

> Another
> post in the same thread says that I can modify kernel-2.6.spec and
> rpmbuild -ba kernel-2.6.spec. Figuring (incorrectly) that was probably
> a bit easier of the 2, I tried doing that. That, of course, brought up
> more errors. The error I'm stuck on is:
>
> # rpmbuild -ba --target i686-linux kernel-2.6.spec
> Building target platforms: i686-linux
> Building for target i686-linux
> error: File /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/linux-2.6.7-hugetlb.patch: No such
> file or directory

Looks like you nuked some files. Save your modded spec file, rpm -ivh
kernel-sourcecode-2.6.8-1.521.noarch.rpm (or whatever it is) and try again.

> I've scoured the net looking for that patch, but have only been able to
> find a couple references and not the actual patch. So now my questions
> (finally):
>
> 1) Does anyone have this patch or know where I can find it?

See above.

> 2) Should I keep going along this route? Or should I downgrade my
> kernel?

I'm running Axel's 2.6.7 kernel still, just haven't had time to switch up to
the 2.6.8 kernel and see what does and doesn't work. Everything I've read
says the latest ck ivtv builds are supposed to work on FC2's 2.6.8 though,
without any modifications...

> 3) Should I switch distros? And if so, which one?

Six of one, half dozen of the other. You can make just about anything work
on any distro. You're not too far off right now. If I were to recommend a
different distro for a Myth box, it would be either Debian or Gentoo. You
ought to be able to have Debian up and running to the same point you're at
with FC just as fast as a clean FC install, Gentoo takes a bit more time and
effort, but is a ton of fun (for those who like pain and suffering). My
mantra is "use whatever you're most comfortable with."

> Thanks to any and all help you can provide me.

Try the latest ivtv builds on Axel's site, I swear they should work, no
complaints about sys_*. But I could certainly be wrong. In which case, I've
really got something to fix in my doc...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...