[mythtv-users] Btaudio questions

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Sep 11 02:48:16 EDT 2004

On 9/10/04 8:24 PM, "Bruce Markey" <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:

> Chris La Force wrote:
>> Hello,
>>   I have just setup mythtv and read about btaudio.
>> In
>> the documentation it says that btaudio is supported
>> by
>> the Hauppauge WinTV - Theater card (model 495,498).
>> have a Hauppauge WinTV - Theater card, but I am not
>> sure it is one of these models.  No messages about
>> btaudio appear when I run the dmesg command. If I
>> try
>> to do a modprobe on btaudio I get the error that the
>> module is not found.  I'm not sure if I need to add
>> something to my modprobe.conf file or what.  I am
>> just
>> looking for a little directions here.
>
> That means that the btaudio hasn't been built or installed
> for your kernel. A couple things to be aware of. Even if
> it is available and does load, that doesn't mean that it
> will work with your card. It will load successfully for any
> card. It is often assumed that btaudio must be the best option.
> I don't believe that is the case. It may limit the bitrate to
> 32000 and it may be difficult or impossible to set the recording
> volume and if the DSP gives you hissy or choppy audio, you can't
> replace it. None of these are a problem if you simply plug the
> audio into the line-in of a sound card.
>
> The best choice is to get a good sound card for both input and
> output. You should probably only use btaudio if there is no
> available line-in and no more PCI slots. Even then, if your card
> doesn't work or work well with btaudio your only other choice
> is to buy another turner card and hope the it might work with
> btaudio.

The mention of modprobe.conf instead of modules.conf leads me to believe
Chris is running on a 2.6 kernel with only ALSA modules built. Btaudio is an
OSS module, superceded by the snd-bt8x8 ALSA module (or something like that,
not positive on the name), so that would explain modprobe not finding
btaudio. But I've not gone down that road in ages, all the cards I actually
use are of the mpeg2 variety now.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com