[mythtv-users] How to reply

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Thu Sep 9 16:00:17 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 15:35, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2004 19:11:48 -0000, Fred <fred at blackhole.riot.eu.org> wrote:
> > What is the procedure that allows one to reply
> > to a specific message in the mythtv-users mailing list?
> >
> > It must be so obvious that I just can't see what it is.

> Besides selecting the message in your mail client, hitting replying,
> and typing at the bottom of it?

Well, if you are subscribed to the list, it's easy--just reply to the
message.

If you receive the list in digest mode, it's a pain.

If you read the list from the web archive, it's a pain.

In the latter two cases, you probably need to send a new message to the
list, manually setting the subject line to be "Re: <old subject>."
Unfortunately, that doesn't set the in-reply-to header that most mail
clients set, so threaded mail readers won't recognize your message as
being a reply.

If you're going to be a regular contributer to the list, it's best to
have a regular subscription so that you can do a normal reply.

--PC