[mythtv-users] OT: Home Theater wiring questions

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Sep 9 12:26:38 EDT 2004

Anyone here know home theater wiring really well and wouldn't mind
giving their opinion on a few questions? Please DO NOT reply to the
list. If you're willing, please reply to me directly at
jep at obrien-pifer.com. Sorry to the list for the OT, but not sure where
else to ask and this list if full of home theater nuts!

I'm building an addition on my house and one of the rooms is for my home
theater, including the main component: MythTV. I have the chance to run
the cabling through the walls, ie cable wire and speaker cable.

For speakers I'm going to run wiring and have faceplates setup for at
least 6.1 sound (maybe 7.1?). I'm trying to figure out what speaker
cable to buy. I was thinking Monster speaker wire, but I don't just want
to dump a lot of money into a name. I found this searching on ebay and
wondering if I could get any opinions based on the descriptions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5719581409&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Other recommendations?

I'm also going to run some Cable TV wire and looking for the same
opinions. I found this from the same ebay seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3825157264&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Other recommendations?

Lastly, I'm interested in suggestions for what to use for the faceplates
if anyone has some experience with it. I'd like to try and do this right
while I have the chance.

Thanks a lot.
James