[mythtv-users] MythTV on AMD64 Gentoo

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 11:55:48 EDT 2004

At 15:17 09/09/2004, you wrote:
>~x86 works great.. as should amd64 native...  The only
>place (well not the only place but a notable place)
>you are going to run into trouble is if you have an
>ATI video card as they don't have 64bit binary
>drivers.. As far as  I know ivtv is open source and
>thus should compile fine.
>
>Bob

I have to admit, I'm finding this whole thing very odd. I was under the
impression that AMD64 allowed for seamless integration of native 32 and 64
bit code (barring things like mixing a 64bit kernel and 32bit device
drivers of course) without any kind of kernel emulation layer...?

Can anyone clarify? I've not had the chance to set up my own AMD64 system
yet (too damned expensive for the kit I want) but didn't think the mixing
and matching of 32 and 64bit apps was going to be an issue - if it is
that's a big problem since there's alot of stuff I use in gentoo that's not
available for AMD64 yet...