[mythtv-users] XvMC and CVS

dean vanden heuvel deanv at cox.net
Wed Sep 8 23:41:46 EDT 2004

Thanks for the reply...

It is the video output itself that is the problem.  When I enable XvMC and disable interlace (from the frontend), and use a 1920x1080i output (which you are correct, my TV can handle), the video looks very *blocked*, sort of like each pixel is VERY large.  Diagonal lines are truly stepped, etc.

In the past, I was using XvMC (no deinterlace, as none was possible in 0.15) driving the 1080i, resulting in a reasonable picture.  However, it seemed like scaling from the recorded 480i up to 1080i, only to have my TV scale back down to 720p (its native display mode) could be causing some degradation.  I figured that using Myth to scale from 480i to 720p, thus doing NO SCALING in my TV might improve things.  It may have (I cannot really tell because it takes too long to change from one to the other), but the bob deinterlace (without XvMC) makes the picture jumpy and movement in the XvMC mode seems to be slightly jerky, so I thought a return to 1080i might be in order...thus my question.

It is the poor-man's deinterlace that really messes things up.  Bob just sometimes (although not with XvMC) messes with horizontal lines.  Seems like what I need it XvMC without deinterlace.  I will try your suggestion.

thanks again.

-dvh