[mythtv-users] Why the need for a Decoder?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 8 01:17:04 EDT 2004

On 09/08/2004 12:45 AM, David Whyte wrote:

>Why would you need the additional decoder you get from the PVR 350
>over the PVR 250?  If you have MythTV backend seperate from the
>frontend is this extra feature unrequired?

Yes.  A PVR-350 in a dedicated backend is used as a PVR-250, so the
extra money spent on the decoder is wasted.  Note, however, that a
PVR-350 has an FM tuner and a PVR-250 does not, but a PVR-250MCE does.
So, if you have any interest in running MythFM (
http://mythextra.napsi.net/mythFM.html ), get the PVR-250MCE.  Also, the
PVR-350 and PVR-250 have remotes and receivers and the PVR-250MCE does
not.  However, the remote needs to be used on the frontend and the
Hauppauge receiver cannot be plugged into a system without a PVR-250.
Note that the PVR-250 and PVR-250MCE can be used together in the same
backend, so feel free to get one of each or two of either.

>PVR 350's are $500 in Australia or $400 for the 250.  I am looking at
>getting two, which means I need to take out a loan almost :|

Go for two 250's and spend the extra $200 from the loan on yourself.  :)

Mike